Thursday, January 12, 2017

5 Photography Things I've Learned

Hi ya'll!

So, over the past few years I have learned a lot about photography. I have learned from reading other blogs, photography tutorials, people I know, and school. I still have a lot to learn. Photography is a journey. Along that line, I want to share a few things I have learned throughout the years! This will probably be stuff you already know but maybe it will inspire you to try something new!

1. Composition (Clothing)


Composition includes your doll's outfit and setting. I try to organize outfits that coordinate, are cute, and reflect girls styles. I also try to add accessories and hairstyles for the outfit to be more realistic.

Setting goes hand in hand with the doll's outfit. For me, sometimes a setting inspires an outfit or vice versa. Nevertheless, I try to match them. For example, if my doll will be modeling on the beach, I dress her in something beachy. If she is modeling with leaves, I put her in a fall outfit. This allows the tone and color scheme to coordinate as well.When choosing clothing, I also try to think of what colors will give the impression I am hoping for. Like, the picture above is neutral tones, allowing the pumpkin and leaves to really stand out.

2. Location


Trying out new locations makes your photos varied. Different backdrops and props can give a location new life. But I would also encourage you to try out new locations, maybe even ones that aren't in your yard or house. I often go to a nearby park or take a doll along when I am headed somewhere that might be picturesque. I carry my doll in a backpack with everything I need for a photo shoot (usually just the doll, hair supplies, and camera). I can wear the backpack and climb around until I find a spot to shoot. Then, I get my doll out and start photographing. That's just what I do!

3. Angle


Try out many angles! Get your camera as close to the ground as possible. Portrait, landscape, diagonal, the possibilities are endless! Perhaps the most important thing is to get down on your doll's level. This may mean sitting or even laying on the ground, but it will be worth it. Shooting at your doll's eye level allows the viewer to engage in the world of the doll. If you have the ability, step about six feet away from your doll and zoom in. This will help you get down to the doll's level. That said, there are also times when it is cool to shoot from above.

(Props can also add an aspect to a shoot. Like Curly in this photo!)

4. Pose


Equally as important as the angle, composition, etc. etc. are poses! While American Girl dolls don't have an overwhelmingly capacity to pose, they can move their arms, legs, and head. I try to take advantage of this to make poses look as lifelike and natural as possible.

5. Light


Lighting is also really important. Correct lighting can make the picture easy to see, as well as the colors the right tone. Natural sunlight works really great for getting lighting right. I try to shoot when it's either overcast, near sunset, or both. Otherwise, it seems like the light is to harsh. Another thing to improve lighting I've learned from various places is that using a poster board or piece of white paper can reflect and spread light. It's fun to experiment!

The picture above was taken indoors, at night, with three regular light bulb lights on. I was able to spread the light using two poster boards. I also posed Tacy so that her face would have light in the right spots.

Lastly, mindset is important! I try to view photography as an art, because it is! This helps me when I am doing a shoot, instead of thinking "I'm taking pictures of my dolls now", I try to think "I'm going to try to make a piece of art now".

So yeah! I enjoyed writing up my experience with photography and what I have learned so far! I love photographing my dolls and can't wait to learn more!

Thanks for reading ;)


Do you have any photography tips to share?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I'm still learning, though I've gotten a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I couldn't agree more about the angle point...it makes a world of a difference when you get at their eye level. Your photography is awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips. I like morning light too. Indoors without the sun up (even when overcast) is really tricky. A lot of mine get that golden hue too.
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete