Friday, October 16, 2015

Sculpey Adventures #1

I recently got some Sculpey to try my hand at making doll size items, like food.

I decided to try to make some candy canes first. They seemed relatively simple, and with Christmas coming up, I thought they would be great for my first try! For the most part, I followed a tutorial which I found here.

These are the colors that come in the Oven Bake Clay 'Brights' package. There is one ounce of each color.

 
To make the candy canes, I used about one-fifth of each of the red and white colors.


I softened the clay, rolled it, and stacked the red and white like so. I think since the white overlapped to the upper side, my candy canes ended up resembling a zebra pattern in a few places.

 
I rolled and twisted the colors together.

 
This tutorial suggested cutting the long strip into one 3" strip per candy cane.

 
I rounded the ends, and curved the clay to look like a candy cane.

 
After baking, the candy canes had a matte finish. This would be perfect for an old-fashioned candy cane. However, I wanted my candy canes to look shiny, so I painted them with Sculpey Gloss Glaze. It goes on a clearish white color, but dries completely clear and shiny!
 
 
Here is the finished product!
 

 
Size reference:
 
 
Thanks for reading!
 

4 comments:

  1. That's the cutest thing ever! I'll definitely have to try this for my dolls!
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah! They are pretty easy to make and don't take a lot of time!

      Delete
  2. Those candy canes look perfect! Amazing job, they look so realistic!:)
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete