Saturday, January 30, 2016

Brooke and Maggie's New Bunk Bed

Today I'm going to walk you through how I made Maggie and Brooke's new bunk bed!
 
 
I used hot glue and two pieces of foam board from the Dollar Store, plus a little bit of a third one. I also needed an Xacto knife, scissors, and a ruler.

 
I made a line down the middle of the foam board, so I can cut two pieces each 10x21 inches. This pair of pieces will make one bed, so you will need to do this twice to make a total of four pieces!


 
Glue two pieces to each other, to make it really sturdy.  Do this with the other pair as well.

 
For the legs of the bunk bed, I wanted to make sure it would be sturdy, so I cut 12 pieces about 1.5 inches by 16 inches. I put them in groups of three and glued them together, to make four really sturdy legs.

 
To attach the legs to the beds, I cut a little chunk out of the corners of the bed.

 
As you can see, I cut about an inch.

 
This is the foam board I had left over, which I decided to use for headboards.

 
To make headboards, I used a plate to trace a curve on one side. The arrow is so I would remember which side is up before I drew the curve :)

 
Headboards!

 
I glued it all together, and painted their initials on the headboard.
 
And now for pictures of the finished bunk!


 
And Brooke is here for a size comparison:

 
I made a mattress for Brooke's bed. I used purple swirly cotton, and filled it with polyester fiber fill. I got it at Wal-Mart for $3.50. I'll be using it for the pillows too.
 
 
For a blanket, she has some pink fleece.




 
Now I need to make Maggie a mattress, and some pillows :) I hope to find some green fabric for Maggie's bed, to match her initial on the headboard.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post!


9 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Thanks for the tutorial! I really need to try this because I need to redo my dollhouse and I don't have any beds! :)
    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No problem, yeah it's pretty sturdy and inexpensive. Can't wait to see what you do with your dollhouse!

      Delete
  2. I'm really impressed by your creativity and craftsmanship. The beds look awesome. I would never have guessed they were foamboard. I'm new to your blog and really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Belle. Welcome to my blog, I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. This is way too cool! You're amazingly excellent at crafting. Seriously!
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems easy and sturdy. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete